“Gluten free” and “food allergy friendly” are more plentiful, more available and taste better than ever! Mintel, a leading international market researcher, says that the number of new gluten free products has grown from 633 in 2007, to 1559 in 2011 – and that’s just the new stuff!
Every few years Mintel conducts surveys about special diets, and in the latest round of research they found the following among internet users over 18 years of age who are gluten free or allergic/sensitive to at least one food:
- 56% wish there were more “free from” food options at restaurants
- 50% wish there were more “free from” food options at the grocery store
- 65% said they can rely on food labels to help them make decisions about what food/drinks they can or can’t have
- 45% buy foods at a traditional supermarket
- 52% buy foods at a natural food store
- 10% buy foods at a convenience store
- 44% think that gluten free foods taste as good as regular products
Now we want to know what you think! From April 9th through the 23rd, I’m asking our friends and fans to let us know what they need and want in gluten free and food allergy-friendly foods and shopping experiences – I promise we’ll do something good with the feedback! I’m working on new recipes (stay tuned) and I always want to share your ideas with folks at the stores where you shop!
So, please join the effort and let me know what you think. Help define “Where Next?” Click here to reach the survey. It will take about three minutes to complete and you’ll receive a Lucy’s coupon when you’re done. Thanks in advance.